The end.
After that, I finally came back to reality, the dream complete. At first, it was dissatisfying to learn that none of it was real. I am incapable of reading minds, and even though I know this for a fact, I still try to do it; my continual attempts have proven fruitless. I’m glad I no longer have to sort trash, but admittedly, I look at all the waste I produce very differently now. I’ve asked to read both of the books, the one on robotics and the Mystery Thesis, but no one has found them in any libraries or bookstores – honestly I don’t think they’re even trying. And I truly wonder whether or not Dion exists at all (never mind my Queens, the people of magic or the robots). Sure, there are no scars on my arm as evidence, but all of it was really real, and I refuse to believe Dion was imaginary. Wherever Dion is, I know we’re still brothers.
I want to take up surfing, as a tribute to him, even though I know the waves around here are nothing like California waves. I’ll get around to it, eventually. As I said before in the dream, I’m not very proficient, but I know that once I get out of here, I know I’m going to get really good at it. Who cares how late in life you start something? I’ve read a few books about surfing, and now I get the appeal of the sport. I see why Dion’s religion fit so well with surfing; it’s a very spiritual undertaking. Although I haven’t had the opportunity to paddle out yet, I imagine that, after carefully watching him surf Pipeline, I’d be able to catch a nice ride on my first day.
Oh, I didn’t tell you! My siblings came down a week or two ago, and I was able to ask them about the origins of my first name. My sister said that when Mom and Dad were still alive, they knew what they were going to call me long before I was born (since it was my both my grandfather’s and my father’s middle name). So maybe my alter-ego was named at a different time – maybe even after he was born! Or, perhaps, someone with that name had an impact on his parents. Whatever the case, I was happy to have them all out here, and we shared a good visit. My family has been very supportive through all of this, despite what the others may have told you.
I wonder sometimes, if I missed some opportunity. As though I were somehow destined to go down to those docks in Marina del Rey back in Two-Thousand Eight. I was still in California back then, and it’s fathomable that I could have arrived at the docks on that fateful day to board the Monmouth. Would I be in some other dimension right now if I had? I mean, maybe all of this wasn’t just a dream, but maybe it was some sort of signature left behind – like a road not taken. The path I could have chosen, one that leads to a completely alternate reality. I guess that’s wishful thinking, huh? Well, that’s how I interpreted it anyway – but what am I saying – you’re the expert.
All in all, I am happy I never looked upon the pages of that book, Don’t Read. Reading that would’ve fucked-up everything! And still, I don’t get how I was reading anything in a dream. I know if I had peered into the darkness of that void-of-a-book, perhaps a piece of the story itself would have been left behind inside of me. For example: If I happened upon the very passage where my character read the book, then I would have been reading about some guy named Lester who was reading about the same guy named Lester who was also reading about a guy named Lester – such a rabbit hole is not worth pursuing. Besides I already feel as though parts of the dream will always linger in my mind, altering my consciousness, guiding my actions discretely.
Specifically when Zyrrk touched me, and I saw my future in that other cosmos, I think that a piece of him was permanently placed inside of me. Sometimes I feel like he can read my thoughts (wherever he is), and I sense that Zyrrk is somehow watching me too. In a good way, though. Whenever I feel compelled to do something – and I mean anything – I can’t help but wonder if he is still influencing me in some way, like an angel upon my shoulder showing me the correct thing to do.
But I am afraid. I fear that I somehow made a wrong decision when I was there. Things didn’t happen the way that Dion thought they would, and he attributed that to the fact that he read the Mystery Thesis. Once I heard the ending of that book (via the robot), I was certain that that was supposed to be the happy ending. But now, I just don’t know. I’m sure that Dion is okay, because Zyrrk promised he would be. But I can’t help but think of how those goons were bound-and-gagged in the other story. Were Sky and Zyrrk supposed to be subdued and defeated in that moment? If that’s the case, then I am scared that I have started a chain-reaction that could result in the destruction of that other world. You’re always right about this stuff though, I shouldn’t worry about the things I can’t change.
If I could only rectify what troubles I may have started! It must be possible. You are listening to my story, you could tell it to others. Hell, you could even write it down and have it published in one of those journals I always see you reading. You are recording this, right? Think of it: If everyone knows what happened in Pipeline, then perhaps the ending will change all over again – maybe this time for the better.
And though the final moments of my adventure converted my regular dream into a hideous nightmare, I feel like I will learn something from it all. Someday. It will take me time, I know. That’s why I belong right here and now. There’s nowhere you can be that isn’t where you’re meant to be, right Doc? Thank you for listening: it’s hard to find people you can really trust these days.
